CONCISE LAW DICTIONARY
P Ramanatha Aiyar’s Concise Law Dictionary, which has been into publication for more than seven decades, is a handy and compact law dictionary, providing the meaning and interpretation of different legal terms, phrases and Latin Maxims, in a precise, accurate and unambiguous manner. The interpretation and construction put upon different terms by the Constitutional Courts in India, have also been duly captured in this book to keep the readers abreast of and provide them with an understanding of the law declared by the Courts in different cases.
In this revised sixth edition, the relevant landmark judgments delivered since 2014, the year of publication of last edition, have been thoroughly examined from the perspective of the book. This includes judgments delivered inter alio on Central Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017, Admiralty (Jurisdiction and Settlement of Maritime Claims) Act, 2017, Finance Act, 2017, Mental Healthcare Act, 2017 and Indian Institutes of Information Technology (Public Private Partnership) Act, 2017 as also the subordinate legislations like National Company Law Tribunal Rules, 2016, Information Technology (Preservation and Retention of Information by Intermediaries Providing Digital Locker Facilities) Rules, 2016, Right to Fair Compensation and Transparency in Land Acquisition, Rehabilitation and Resettlement (Compensation, Rehabilitation and Resettlement and Development Plan) Rules, 2015 and the Customs Tariff (Determination of Origin of Products under the Duty Free Preference Scheme for Least Developed Countries) Rules, 2015. Furthermore, the terms emerging from some niche areas of law, like the Cyber Law and the Intellectual Property Law, have also been included in the book.
This book is an outcome of a meticulous and thorough research and covers briefly:
- A detailed list of abbreviations;
- Words, phrases and expressions commonly found in English Statutes, decisions and treatises;
- Definition of terms commonly used in personal laws, such as, Hindu Law and Mohammedan Law, those used in specialized fields of Commerce, Foreign Medicine, Mercantile Law, Maritime Law and Military Law;
- References to relevant statutes and judicial pronouncements to illustrate the usage of words and phrases.
- This dictionary is a classic reference for legal professionals, judges, academicians, students as well as for aspirants for different judicial and civil services examinations
This dictionary is a classic reference for legal professionals, judges, academicians, students as well as for aspirants for different judicial and civil services examinations.